Drain Free Tummy Tuck TissuGlu
Dr. Layton is a Certified TissuGlu Houston Plastic Surgeon
Drainless Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
One of the inconvenient aspects of the recovery from a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is the drain. In the past, it has been necessary to keep a drain in the patient until the fatty tissue that has been lifted from the muscle sticks back down and heals. It requires care and emptying and can get irritated where the exits the skin, causing discomfort. The scar once the drain has been removed can also be unsightly and cause a depression (or second hole) because of the track that the drainage tube occupied. We now have available a specialized surgical device that applies tissue glue to the space that needs to stick and heal, eliminating the need for a drain. This leads to a faster, more comfortable recovery.
Drain-free Tummy Tuck with TissuGlu® Recovery
TissuGlu® helps transform your tummy tuck into a less invasive, more comfortable experience by freeing you from drains. However, you’ve still undergone a major surgery and will need time to heal. Be sure to listen to your doctor and follow postoperative care instructions carefully.
TissuGlu patients reported better quality of life during recovery
You may feel so good that you want to do more than your healthcare provider has recommended but remember you just had major surgery and your body needs time to heal. Adhere strictly to your healthcare provider’s recovery instructions.
TissuGlu patients resumed all measured activities sooner than patients with drains (showering, driving, returning to work)1
The percentage of TissuGlu patients showered by days 3 and 6 was nearly 20% higher vs drains, and >10% on day 91
Important TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive Safety Information
TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive is indicated for the approximation of tissue layers where subcutaneous dead space exists between the tissue plane in abdominoplasty.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Do not use in patients with known or suspected allergies to urethane-based or isocyanate-containing products.
- Do not use TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive in patients who have had prior exposure to TissuGlu®. Immunological response associated with repeat TissuGlu® exposure has not been studied.
- The effectiveness for the treatment of patients with BMI > 28 has not been established. Higher BMI patients have a propensity for fluid accumulation and may have an increased risk of seroma formation.
- Effectiveness was not observed in weight loss patients undergoing abdominoplasty. Weight loss patients have a propensity for fluid accumulation and may have an increased risk of seroma formation and aspiration.
TissuGlu® may reduce the need for drains after surgery. By using TissuGlu® instead of drains, you may:
- Return to normal activities more quickly
- Experience less discomfort and pain than when drains are used
- Have fewer invasive treatments for fluid management. The results showed that 73% of TissuGlu® patients had no treatments after surgery. However, some patients did require additional invasive treatments including reinsertion of drains.
Clinical studies were performed using TissuGlu®. There were no increased safety risks with the use of TissuGlu® than when drains were used. Potential complications associated with the use of the device and the tummy tuck procedures include seroma (fluid) formation. These complications may require treatments such as drain placement and/or fluid removal by needle, which may be performed in the operating room. Additional potential complications include wound healing issues, rash/redness, surgical site or incision infection, scarring, hematoma (bruise or swelling), incision separation, and immunological reaction.
For full safety information please visit http://tissuglu.com, contact your doctor.
TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive is currently approved for sale in the United States for the approximation of tissue layers where subcutaneous dead space exists between the tissue planes in abdominoplasty. TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive received European CE Mark in 2011, where it is approved for large flap surgical procedures such as abdominoplasty. TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive is not approved for sale in any other region. Any questions related to the indication for use should be directed to your Cohera Medical Account Manager or to Cohera Medical Corporate Clinical Affairs. Refer to the complete TissuGlu® Surgical Adhesive Directions for Use for prescribing and usage information.